Monday, February 22, 2010

5 x 5 Submission 88 - Sean Alexander







Sean Alexander
statement:

I like drawing animals, sick people, cube stuff, the working class, drunks, cowboys, ice cubes, children etc... the list is always growing and being revisited again and again. I don't know why I draw this stuff, but it is what I want to draw apparently. When working with an idea I almost never refer to any source material for posturing or correctness.As a result, things end up being a little off most of the time. Sometimes styles will mesh oddly as well. Part of a drawing will look mid-cartoony while other parts are kind more refined. I want everything to look tight in my drawings but also want them to have the heart of a doodle.

Regarding art and society, there is no great purpose for my work. I merely hope that the drawings function well as drawings, meaning they are interesting to look at, descriptive, moody, and look nice hanging in interiors. I think that a good picture is a great thing.

bio:

Sean Alexander lives on his mom’s rental farm in Longbranch, Washington. From 2006 to 2008 he co-owned a small, progressive art space in Tacoma called ‘The Helm.’ His hobbies and creative ventures include making pictures, writing songs, watching football, playing scrabble, making coffee, drinking juice and spending time with his girlfriend. His most recent exhibition took place at Public Space One in Iowa City. He is currently brainstorming for future projects and enjoying spending time with good people again.

No comments:

Post a Comment