Tuesday, January 5, 2010

5 x 5 Submission 3 - Ben Hanawalt




Ben Hanawalt
Ben Hanawalt's Website
Each of my recent paintings is an exercise in the balance of contrasting imagery and composition. If my painting depicts something joyous and beautiful, it’s equally important for it to include something haunting or dreadful: a counterweight. Once I feel that I’ve achieved this balance throughout, the exercise is complete, the painting is done.

Each group of my paintings contains a number of parallel themes that tie the works together. Currently, these themes are sex, nautical imagery, decorative pattern, and Japanese culture.

I began working in oils in 2001, during my senior year of studies at Cornish College of the Arts.


















To submit work for 5 x 5 , email luara@greygalleryandlounge.com
Check out our blog for more information: 5 x 5 Information
Deadline for submissions is February 15, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment