Tuesday, January 12, 2010

5 x 5 Submission 7 - Carrie Goller









Carrie Goller
Carrie Goller's Website

Art has been a dominant force in my life since my childhood on tiny Bainbridge Island in Washington. Although I pursued a Fine Arts degree, I spent many years focused on other priorities until an unwelcome encounter with mortality provided the catalyst that allowed me to reevaluate and fully express my creativity.

Art has become a necessity for me. It's both work and play -- exhilarating yet restorative. It's where drama is safely indulged -- and thus balance achieved. While absorbed in the creative process I lose track of time and feel all is well, content and confident in my creative ability.

I respond enthusiastically to color and am particularly lured by simple yet sensual organic forms and the intoxicating realm of vibrant colors, shapes and textures found in nature. My work is composed in a very conscientious and exacting method. Color is built up from the full spectrum, beginning with violets, then blues, etc., and finally highlighting to leave hints of underlying color showing through. The glazing process is repeated to distill luminosity.

A variety of media keeps me interested and endlessly inspired -- oil, watercolor, pastel, charcoal, graphite, mixed media and recently encaustic. The ancient process of melting, applying, then fusing beeswax leaves me thankful to the hardworking bees.

Although I now work from a wide range of subjects, from still life to plein air, I started with portraiture to enhance my connection with people and creatures. I enjoyed the challenge of trying to capture a subject's spirit and character, with the goal of transcending photographic images. The result I am seeking may be elusive, yet the artistic process continues to intrigue me.

To submit work for 5 x 5 , email luara@greygalleryandlounge.com

Check out our blog for more information: 5 x 5 Information

Deadline for submissions is February 15, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment