Wednesday, February 17, 2010

5 x 5 Submission 34 - David McCrae






David McCrae
I started learning the process of photography from my grandparents in Colorado, dedicated amateur photographers and naturalists. Process was left behind for theory while studying art history at the University of California, San Diego, although the beach kept interfering.

With the arrival of the digital darkroom in 2000, I began working under the tutelage of Jules Spilman, a Chicago Art Institute trained painter and sculptor living in Berkeley. He offered me my first show in 2004 at his Gallery and Salon, and so it goes.

The history of photography is replete with examples of image capture without a camera. My current work, the series ‘From a Scanner, Darkly,’ began when I had no time to work with film. Instead, a scanner and a computer became my substitute for photosensitive materials and a darkroom. I now use both analog and digital image capture, with, and without camera and lens. Images are printed digitally with pigment inks on archival paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment